Day 2 in Ethiopia !
On our second full day in Ethiopia, we all went out for lunch at the Makush which I had SOOOO loved when we were in Ethiopia in February. Its an Italian restaurant/art gallery that is close to the guest house where we stay. We of course had pizza as this is the best pizza that I have ever tasted in my life !
As it was Sunday, we did not have anything planned with the programs so it was more of an open day. We all decided to visit Haregewain Teffera's HIV + orphanage (The story that is told in the book "There is no me without you").
This was an amazing experience and to be able to see children that their story was told in the book was so special. We had brought lots of granola bars to share with them and balls and we played and laughed all afternoon. These children love attention and would cuddle in our arms. Pierre and I read them books and sang with them... most of them could speak english which was fun as they understood us.... They are such sweet children affected by such an awful disease..... hard to understand why these children are destined to not only be orphans but also have HIV.... The caregivers had us meet a little girl and said that she had a twin sister but that her sister did not have the virus so she was in the other orphanage where the children were not HIV positive and could be adopted. She had not been adopted yet... but all I kept thinking was how awful it was that they could not even live in the same orphanage again because of a disease that could have been prevented if they and their mother would have received the right care that is readily available here....lots of things to process when you see such things and that its not just a story but it is a child's life.... and in this case a lot of children's lives... and these are the ones that made it to an orphanage...... they would take us by the hand and would be soo proud to show us which bed was theirs... the only thing that they have that is somewhat theirs I guess....hard to explain what it feels like to hold and play with these children all afternoon and to see them smile and hug you and appreciate the attention that you are giving them and then have to say good bye .... they will always hold a special place in our hearts that's for sure...
The one little boy that was absolutely a delight was Yohannes, if you remember him from the book (his picture is in the second set of colored pictures in the book there is no me without you).... He loved Pierre and stayed on his laps for a long time telling him stories and playing, it was soo cute...I got a picture of him and I as well, he loved the cameras !!!
I have taken lots of pictures at this orphanage but not would not be able to post them on the internet, however I will prepare an email with the photos and if any of you would like to see some of the pictures, just send me a quick email at lisagoguen19@yahoo.ca and I will pass them along.. please do not send them to anyone else or publish them online :)
That night when we went for supper at a really nice restaurant, we were all talking and thinking of how the money spent on this one meal for all 11 of us could pay a caregiver's salary at an orphanage for more than two months..... and our meal was only about $2 or $3 US dollars each if that.... definetly something that weighs heavily on your mind when you are in Ethiopia.... at least for us it does....
As it was Sunday, we did not have anything planned with the programs so it was more of an open day. We all decided to visit Haregewain Teffera's HIV + orphanage (The story that is told in the book "There is no me without you").
This was an amazing experience and to be able to see children that their story was told in the book was so special. We had brought lots of granola bars to share with them and balls and we played and laughed all afternoon. These children love attention and would cuddle in our arms. Pierre and I read them books and sang with them... most of them could speak english which was fun as they understood us.... They are such sweet children affected by such an awful disease..... hard to understand why these children are destined to not only be orphans but also have HIV.... The caregivers had us meet a little girl and said that she had a twin sister but that her sister did not have the virus so she was in the other orphanage where the children were not HIV positive and could be adopted. She had not been adopted yet... but all I kept thinking was how awful it was that they could not even live in the same orphanage again because of a disease that could have been prevented if they and their mother would have received the right care that is readily available here....lots of things to process when you see such things and that its not just a story but it is a child's life.... and in this case a lot of children's lives... and these are the ones that made it to an orphanage...... they would take us by the hand and would be soo proud to show us which bed was theirs... the only thing that they have that is somewhat theirs I guess....hard to explain what it feels like to hold and play with these children all afternoon and to see them smile and hug you and appreciate the attention that you are giving them and then have to say good bye .... they will always hold a special place in our hearts that's for sure...
The one little boy that was absolutely a delight was Yohannes, if you remember him from the book (his picture is in the second set of colored pictures in the book there is no me without you).... He loved Pierre and stayed on his laps for a long time telling him stories and playing, it was soo cute...I got a picture of him and I as well, he loved the cameras !!!
I have taken lots of pictures at this orphanage but not would not be able to post them on the internet, however I will prepare an email with the photos and if any of you would like to see some of the pictures, just send me a quick email at lisagoguen19@yahoo.ca and I will pass them along.. please do not send them to anyone else or publish them online :)
That night when we went for supper at a really nice restaurant, we were all talking and thinking of how the money spent on this one meal for all 11 of us could pay a caregiver's salary at an orphanage for more than two months..... and our meal was only about $2 or $3 US dollars each if that.... definetly something that weighs heavily on your mind when you are in Ethiopia.... at least for us it does....
Click to join MaritimeEthiopiaAdopt

3 Comments:
At 9:10 AM,
Julie M. said…
Great post Lisa. Once again you bring tears to my eyes. It is so difficult to process everything you see, and really makes you more appreciative of EVERYTHING we are blessed with.
Julie
At 3:23 PM,
Ricki said…
Lisa,
I am just reading that book now and so far I love it! I had mentioned to Rhonda that if we can squeeze it in I wanted to go there when we are in Ethiopia in October with CHOIR. It's so neat to hear that you went there...I really hope we can work it out to go. And of course I would love the email with pics please!!!!
At 7:07 AM,
Chatter said…
Lisa,
I am reading the book now as well. It's so good and heart wrenching (and frustrating at times - unsanitary injections). I would love an email with the pics as well!
Thank You
I sent you an email :)
Chandra
Post a Comment
<< Home