Our Adoption Journey to Ethiopia !

This website was created in order to be able to share our adoption journey to Ethiopia with our friends and family!
CHERISH yesterday, LIVE for today and DREAM of tommorow!

May 17, 2007

28



“This book is magnificent. It’s probably the best book ever written about AIDS, certainly the best I’ve ever read. I wept when I finished, not just because it’s beautifully written, not just because the last chapter tears the heart out, not just because it’s a work of such force and feeling and power, not just because it’s so intensely and astonishingly human, not just because it covers the entire landscape of the virus, but because its impact could shape public opinion as never before.”
–Stephen Lewis, former UN Special Envoy HIV/AIDS in Africa
http://www.amazon.ca/28-Stories-Africa-Stephanie-Nolen/dp/0676978223/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/701-6524896-2642718?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179318450&sr=8-1

Today I wanted to write about this book. I have not read it yet cause I have just ordered it.

In this book Stephanie Nolen offers 28 searing portraits of Africans affected by the deadly AIDS virus. According to UNAIDS, the number of HIV-infected people in Africa is 28 million which hence the reason why she is writting 28 stories.

The numbers are astonishing.... by 2010, they predict that there will be between 25 and 50 million children orphaned by AIDS.

I know I will enjoy this book as it will be a reality for our girls. Our daughter's family in Ethiopia have most likely in more ways than one been affected by this deadly disease. Upon other reasons, AIDS could be why their parents had to make the thoughest decisions of their lives and also the reason why they were not able to parent their children.

The numbers are increasing daily, it is up to us to make a difference. Every little bit helps and ANYONE can make a difference !

In one of the following videos, there is a quote from BONO that I have always thought explained it all....

"what are you going to tell your granchildren... when they ask you....what you did while an entire continent whitered away from AIDS? ~BONO

Before going to Africa, I was not sure what I would be able to do to help the AIDS crisis and the poverty, however after having been in Ethiopia and having seen how much, holding hands or shaking hands, singing with the children, a hug, a drink of water, a granola bar,a rocket balloon, even a a smile can make such a difference in these people's lives, I was forever changed. Having Ethiopians tell us how they appreciate us coming to their country to help them and to spend time with their children and to take time to visit their homes, I will never be the same. I truly believe that there is so much hope for Africa and that together each and everyone of us can make a difference !







3 Comments:

  • At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for that post Lisa! I too have ordered the book 28 and can't wait to read and pass it on to family members to read as well. My heart breaks at what AIDS is doing in Africa. I know I want to be able to tell my grandchildren a long list of actions I took to help the AIDS crisis.
    Ricki

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Lesley said…

    Hi Lisa...
    "Enjoyed" the videos, well done. The quote from Bono is so appropriate and challenging.
    I am currently reading "28" and it is well worth it. It explains the situation very well. Definitely a must read book for everyone I think.
    Lesley

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have just finished reading 28. It was very good.
    Another great book is "Our stories, Our songs" by Deborah Ellis.

    Shauna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home