Our Adoption Journey to Ethiopia !

This website was created in order to be able to share our adoption journey to Ethiopia with our friends and family!
CHERISH yesterday, LIVE for today and DREAM of tommorow!

April 29, 2007

CHOIR (Ethiopia) school presentation !








Had a few busy days and we were away for the week-end so just having time to update our blog now ! I guess this was a little preview in case i'm not able to update as much once the girls are home LOL !

On Friday I drove to my husband's home town (Rogersville) to make a presentation on Ethiopia for students in grade 6. Pierre's mother is a teacher's aid and works in this class and had asked me if I would like to present to the class about the expedition. And of course because of grandma being in that class, the students had also seen pictures of Marika and Karelle and had many questions !

I really enjoyed the presentation and they were all sooo interested and asking GREAT questions! They really loved the video that I had brought to show them and I had also prepared a power point with pictures and statistics. They also liked the artifacts that I was letting them pass around the class and were very curious about many things.....

Some of the questions asked were the following...

Did you see Volcanos ??(hehe)
How long was the flight?
How many children per classroom in the classes?
If the children played board games?
If the children ate chocolate bars like they did here?
Who made their braids?
Where did they learn how to dance?
They had lots of questions about the clothing and traditions and also the food?

They also asked a few questions about the adoption and about our girls....

One little boy even asked what I liked the most about Ethiopia? I thought that was cute.... I answered that I really really enjoyed the food (seeing my girls was first, but the presentation was not about that LOL).....

One of Marika and Karelle's little cousin was also in this class.


Then towards the end, we were not talking about the girls at all, I was mentioning something about the weather and well a little boy was holding his hand up so I said "yes, do you have another question?" and I really didn't expect his question at all... he had the saddest eyes and said, your girls are soooo cute, it must have been SOOO hard for you to leave them and come back here huh ???

I could have started crying right then and there.... kids are sooo smart... he said it again wow that must have been hard.... I know all of you (that are adopting) know how hard the wait is........
When the teachers asked at the end of the presentation if anyone of them would like to do something like this when they grew up ? Every single little hand (there were 30) all came up ! It touched my heart that they thought it looked like fun, I felt that my presentation had done what I had hoped it would. I then explained about the cost and how you can fundraise and that we had done yard sales and things like that...

The teacher and students also said that they would love to help and that they would fundraise (to buy books, the school really needed books) and that they would all make as much bracelets as they could for me to bring to the children when I return to Ethioipa !

It was a great morning and I really enjoyed to see how children thought about expedition and well like the teacher also said, she didn't know that you could volunteer for only a few weeks at a time like that, she was very glad that I was able to present that to her students....

After the presentation, a little girl came up to me and said' Lisa, my mom always does yard sales in the spring... this year I will sell a lot of my stuff and give the money to Pierre's mom and hopefully you can bring it to buy something for the children in Ethiopia"... again it warmed my heart..... I wasn't sure what the presentation would bring these children but leaving I felt like it had helped them understand a little bit more about Ethiopia !

5 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sure gives you hope for the next generation to hear the kids so interesting and wanting to do something to make a difference. It sounds like it was a great experience for you guys and for the kids! Great job!!

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Children are amazing aren't they,sounds like a positive impact was made on the children(and their questions were very heart warming)....great job!!!!!

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Dallas, Lisa, Zane, and Ayana said…

    That sounds like it was lots of fun! Who knows what your little presentation will lead to....
    I also thought the questions the kids asked were cute!

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How heart-warming, Lisa! Your presentation was impactful to those kids. I'm sure some of them will be thinking about how they can make a difference for the kids in Ethiopia. It's so good to hear!

    Gina

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger esther said…

    it's amazing what a little education can do, hey?!?!? :)
    i'm glad it was a success!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home